...are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
Four years ago, I experienced a Traumatic Brain Injury that caused me to lose my job, my health insurance, and almost my home. I discovered Reiki when researching Eastern Medicine, as Western Medicine was no longer an option. Reiki made such a difference in my life, I felt compelled to share it with others, which is how I ended up on my path.
We so often get wadded up in our programming by our parents, which is reinforced by society, that to be vulnerable or show emotions somehow equates to weakness.
A common theme for my clients, as of late, is the lack of purpose and motivation to continue. I'd like to share with you what I shared with them, as this advice is Universal. If you are reading this post, then chances are this message was meant for you too...
Last Sunday, I gave the Alternate Sunday Service at the Unity Center in West Linn on this topic; it seems relevant given all the recent headlines. There is a fluid situation that is creating a fair amount of fear among the masses. All you have to do is turn on the news to trigger your Fight or Flight response. So many feel helpless in these circumstances, especially in the Northwest, that it makes living day-to-day difficult.
- Stress is the cause of 90% of all illness.
- Stress constricts the blood vessels in our prefrontal cortex, causing clouded thinking. Stress actually makes us less intelligent.
- Stress reduces cell turnover, causing us to age faster.
- Stress compromises our immunity. If we're stressed that we might get sick, it may increase our chances of getting sick.
- When you have a thought, it sends a signal down a neural pathway in your brain, triggering a gene expression, which triggers a synthesis of proteins in your cells, which produces an electrical and magnetical field around your body, which can be seen with MRI and EEG machines.
If you live in fear, believing you will get sick, that stinking thinking might beget that experience. Be aware of this. You get to choose your thoughts. Therefore, you have more control over your biology than you realize. Do not assume you will get sick. Assume you are in perfect health, while doing practical things such as washing your hands often, and mitigating your stress.