Belly Breathing - To calm the body
Oddly enough, the majority of people alive on the planet today are breathing incorrectly; most tend to breathe from the upper chest (as you see in cartoons!), but this actually leads to hyperventilation when stressed.
What does one do?
- Exhale completely, drawing your belly button into your spine
- Inhale through your nose, expanding lower belly
- Continue inhaling, expanding your middle abdomen
- Continue inhaling, expanding your upper chest until your lungs are completely full
- Exhale, breathe out from your upper lungs
- Continue exhaling, breathe out from your middle abdomen
- Continue exhaling, breathe out from your lower belly, pulling your belly button into your spine
This is a fabulous way to bring yourself back into your body when you feel stressed/panicked.